Go to Top
Revolution Slider Plugin has been detected! Please deactivate this Plugin to prevent themecrashes and failures!


The Commission on Accreditation (COA) is responsible for the accreditation of Bachelor of Social Work and Master of Social Work degree programs in Canada.  The CASWE-ACFTS Standards for Accreditation and Procedures for Accreditation are based on the educational policies, standards and procedures adopted by the CASWE-ACFTS Board of Directors.

The COA is composed of nine (09) social work faculty/educators from across Canada and is jointly chaired by a Francophone member (Dr. Louise Carignan) and an Anglophone member (Dr. Peter Gabor). The COA is supported in their work by the Accreditation Coordinator, who is based out of the National Office located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

The Standards for Accreditation lists principles of social work education that guide accreditation standards, statements of learning objectives for students, and specific standards categorized under four domains.  The Procedures for Accreditation outlines the accreditation process, specifies the types of accreditation, provides an explanation of the reconsideration and appeal process.  The Procedures for Accreditation also clarifies financial responsibility for the accreditation process, defines conflict of interest, identifies confidentiality issues, and student relations.  Schools may use either English or French in the preparation of their documents.

There is a current agreement between the Council on Social Work Education in the USA and the CASWE-ACFTS on the mutual recognition of accredited degrees whereby any CSWE or CASWE-ACFTS accredited MSW or BSW is accepted as equivalent.

Accreditation Coordinator

Ms. Marie-Christine Bois is the Commission on Accreditation (COA) Coordinator. Please contact Ms. Bois at COA@caswe-acfts.ca for information regarding the COA.